Don't blink. Just run.

Where training meets fandom. And everything in between.

2014, I’m Coming For YOU!

on December 31, 2013

Happy New Year’s Eve…hope everyone has a great 2014…party responsibly…blah blah blah.

OK, now let’s move on. I have goals – actual, written (typed) goals. Want to know what they are? Well…I’ll tell you!

1. Complete a Tough Mudder – This is the ultimate goal for this year. Period. End of sentence. BOOM. Registration prices go up in 2 weeks, so I will be registering before then. I’m going to be on a team with 2 of my coworkers and some of their friends and family. It’s a bummer that no one I personally know outside of work is into it, but that’s OK. I think there are around 8-10 of us so far and we plan on getting together in a few weeks to all meet each other and get to know our teammates. Makes me anxious, but better than meeting them on race day! Like I mentioned before, I got the discounted classes for that obstacle gym and I may go for the first time this Saturday morning, either just me or with just one of my coworkers. We’ll see how that pans out. I’m excited. I’m so nervous I could throw up, but I’m excited.

Me after my very first obstacle race – Down & Dirty Mud Run

2. Complete a half marathon – If it means crawling across the finish line, this is going to happen. I don’t have a set one in mind as my first, but I’ve officially registered for the Surftown Half in September. I ran the 5K last year while injured and ended up walking most of it in tears. It was an awful experience, but an absolutely stunning course, so I’ve decided I need to conquer it.

Me right before Surftown 5K – September 2013

3. Complete 1 unassisted pull-up – I’m not sure this can ever happen. I have the upper arm strength of an infant, always have. I’m working on it, slowly but surely, but it’s damn tough. I decided it would be a good goal to have to keep me working towards something outside of running. Plus it can only help me in Tough Mudder training, which, let’s face it, I need plenty of!

4. Complete 10 push-ups – I can already bang out 20 on my knees. This goal, though, is for 10 in perfect form, perfectly horizontal, touching my chest to the floor like real push-up. I’ve gotten as high as 7, but not even close to actually hitting the floor (and I have ridiculous boobs, so it should be easier LOL), horizontal push-ups. This one may be a bit more attainable than the pull-up, but no less difficult for me.

5. Complete the #14in2014 that I signed up for – I joined a group committed to running 14 races in 2014. Since I did 15 in 2013, my first year of running, I don’t think this is unattainable. I just need to stick with it like I did this year and not burn out. I think I have them more evenly spread since I’ll be starting earlier in the year so I think it might be better this time around. I’ve already signed up for the half (above) and another 5K in May. I was also going to sign up for my St. Patrick’s day race until I remembered that my company always sponsors that one, so I’m waiting to register for that until they give out the password for free registration. Why spend the money if I don’t have to, right?  ;)

There you have it. Courtney’s crazy goals. I like the sound of that.

23 responses to “2014, I’m Coming For YOU!

1. codeterra says:

Good luck on your 2014 goals! I have made a list too, the more I look at it, the more crazy it looks. Please post about the tough mudder, I have been thinking about a race like that but don’t know what to expect.

• beach3519 says:

LOL, I understand about crazy lists! I’ll definitely be posting about Tough Mudder…I probably won’t shut up about it! I have several people I know that have done one (or more) and I’ve been asking them questions left and right and Googling anything else I can think of so I’ll be extra prepared! I’m glad I already have 2 mud runs under my belt, but the Mudder is like 2-3 times as long as those were!

• codeterra says:

Yeah I’m pretty spoiled running only on paved roads. I had a 5k that was through some gravel and it sucked lol. Maybe I’m not cut out for mud. But I have been looking into spartan races… maybe 5 years from now i’ll be toned enough to try it.

2. Push ups and pull ups kill me. To me those are harder goals than a marathon.

3. squibandboo says:

Good luck with tough mudder – I did london South this June and had an absolute blast – looking to do Dublin in October 2014

4. Awesome goals! Aside from the pushups and pullup the others are WAY beyond my reach but I can admire from afar.

And, um, if you ever want to write a guest post for Cranky Fitness about obtaining or not obtaining any of these, would love to feature you!

5. Bree says:

What lovely goals! I’m so excited to see so many people sign up for the 14 races in ’14! I’m sure not going to do it, but somebody’s got to! ;) Good luck! Also…I’m excited for your half marathon adventures to come.

• beach3519 says:

Thanks! I’m hoping I can meet that goal. If I’m going off this year I’ll be fine – but you never know what a year can throw at you! And I bet you could do it too!

6. Yankee Girl says:

One of my friends did the tough muddier in Edinburgh last year and had a fab time, she said the electric shocks weren’t too bad. Though that might be enough to keep me from ever doing a TM as I freak out just from static electricity shocks, so I’m super impressed! Great goal!

• beach3519 says:

Thanks!!

I bet you’d be fine. The second mud run that I did had electric wire we had to army crawl under. I was doing really well until almost the end and then my shoulder happened to hit it as I repositioned myself and ZAP! It wasn’t bad at all though – literally felt as if I had just gotten a static shock off my rug or something. There was a guy crawling on his hands and knees and his back was hitting every single wire and he was laughing! I thought they were just ropes (which is what they looked like) and since he was laughing I figured they were kidding…maybe that’s just his reaction to being shocked I guess. LOL

7. Love all your goals!! I have done a mud race before and my husband had to duck tape my shoes to my ankles! I think a tough mudder would be an awesome experience but the electric shock and ice cold water scares me! lol Happy New Year!

• beach3519 says:

HAHA, I can totally picture you running with duct taped feet. The electric shock isn’t bad (basing my experience off a past mud run with it), depending on how strong it is. I don’t know if it varies from run to run. The ice cold water scares me too. I think I’m going to try it, but you can always opt to go around just that obstacle. I’m 99% sure I’ll at least attempt it. I’m hoping for a 90 degree day, but that’s probably unlikely in late May in Vermont…

8. DragonLady says:

Looks like a good list of goals! Good luck with the races! :)

9. Tough Mudder is a great obstacle race. I love the camaraderie of the participants in this series. We did the one in Central Florida last year and I had a blast.
    Good luck with all your goals. You’ve got a nice list and I have to admit, I’m still trying to check 10 perfected form pushups off to do list. Maybe I’ll add that to my goals for 2014.

• beach3519 says:

I’m glad to hear that! I’ve heard a lot of things about how great the teamwork is, even if it’s not your team.

And thanks! Anything involving my arms will definitely be a challenge, but I’ve got 365 days to work on them! ;)

10. Fantastic goals! I know that you will accomplish every single of them! You can do this! (I have the upper arm strength of an infant too)

11. […] it means the same thing, but I’m far more comfortable with this wording. Courtney’s goals are far more ambitious than mine.  Mine are also not quite so […]